Saturday, August 13, 2011

Relive

Luke 12: 48b

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much will be asked."

I look around burgundy walls surround a wooden platform which holds my possessions high. Am I drowning in my own affluence? If I have more than one shirt am I stealing from the woman that does not have one to claim as her own? Each fabric in my closet adds shrills to the night air as they rub up against each other, a violence to the blessings I have been given. How do I justify this existence? better yet I do not want to justify but more so to rectify the injustice. I must relearn what I was taught as a child from a teacher who is not present.

I am sure those who have been given much in terms of materialism knew of those in need they would not hesitate to offer their extra coat, shirt or pants. For these things are easily replaceable and after giving there is never a qualm about not having done something to benefit the greater good of the human race. Or maybe if the words were brought forth genuinely, not tainted with the least bit of apathy but ignorance was their only fault then it is the shelter of wealth that conceals the need from them. The wealthy are willing to be charitable but do not live among the people for which they would seek to aid or be with in community.

Thus the wealthy move into neighborhoods which have manicured lawns relieving themselves under the shelter of not only their homes but their lifestyle to only on occasion see those who are in need and only on occasion open a checkbook, give monetarily to a church or non-profit organization to cross off their sunday morning checklist of how to live rightly under God.

This is what I have: closet of clothes, two bookshelves of books, artwork, and a bed. What is asked of me? Each book? Each shirt? If I have two do I steal from my sister who has none, or does the distance from the recipient free my mind to a world of apathetic wealth?

Teach me how to relive.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

speaking straight into my heart right now, Sammy.

-Lauren