Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Down South in North Carolina

I have been down south a couple times but this week I began thinking more about different lifestyles and decided to write about it. We drove around Creedmoor, North Carolina and there was a gas station with one gas pump. It made me smile. There are no breakfast places in town you have to go to Durham for that, the larger city. Life is so different down here, so slow. I am not sure I could get use to it. I am sure if i lived down here for awhile I would, but it is just peculiar how in different regions different people live. These two groups of people put priorities on different things. In Chicago speed is automatically expected not a luxury. However I think the people down here make up for their lack of speed by the care they give to the person in which they are serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this implying that in a region with more "speed", people care less about those that they are serving than in regions like Creedmor? Would you say the "speed: of the big city causes people to rush, and therefore give less care?

Anonymous said...

Not necessarily. My observation was that for instance... in creedmoor the garbage service men come all the way up to the door to pick up the trash, the air conditioning serviceman came back 2 days later to check if everything was working properly, the landlord stopped by everyday to help my sister with every little thing to be fixed or if she had a question he would call someone to help her out with anything...my mother remarked quite a few times that "they would never do this in chicago." So my observation was because of the speed of the bigger city people who live there might do their job well and fast but they don't go the extra mile trying to care for the customer as best they can. I think it may be the nature of the lifestyle. So because of the speed of the lifestyle in the city a person may do their job well and with care but not in the same way that the south does. I think there are good points to both styles of living however I think I prefer what I have always been use to.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clearing that up for me.