Saturday, June 6, 2009

one of the most freeing things in the world

I recently met this man named austin. He goes to calvin college and is the same age as me. We are working together at camp and one night we had a heart to heart. I really liked something he said and it has resonated with me ever since. He wondered why there were so many great quality girls at christian colleges. He figured out that it was because they knew their worth. they found their worth in God and so they knew they were something special they are princesses of the most high king. so then they are looking for men who meet their standards and in turn men rise to meet those standards. and it is just a trade off of becoming better and better. I really liked that realization.

Tonight a man i was talking to couldn't believe that i didn't have a boyfriend or that i wasn't boy crazy and looking for one. he was baffled that i was content to be by "myself." He also couldn't believe that I didn't like to drink. we talked more and i told him about my love for art and sports. He told me that I was going somewhere in life that i was someone special. he said he saw something different in me. I thought about it and it reminded of the conversation that austin and i had. If there is anything special about me it is solely from God and my love for him. Maybe that is the difference. Because I want God first in my life I don't have to chase after empty fulfillments i don't have to worry about finding the right guy because i know God is faithful and if I am suppose to be with someone he will see that it happens. Letting God take control is very hard but one of the most freeing things in the world.

No comments: